Procedures and Policies relating to the International Psychoanalytical Studies Organisation (IPSO)
IPSO Members on IPA Committees:
1) The IPA’s Executive Committee will approve the Committees that may have Candidate participation. At present those Committees are as follows:
Candidates Loan Panel
Child and Adolescent Psychoanalysis Committee (COCAP)
Congress Scientific Programme Committee
Email Newsletter Editorial Team
Prejudice (including Anti-Semitism) Working Group
Psychoanalysis and Culture Committee
Psychoanalysis and the University Committee
Psychoanalytic Perspectives on the Ageing of Patients and Analysts Working Group
Psychoanalytic Perspectives of Families and Couples Working Group
United Nations Committee
Women and Psychoanalysis Committee (COWAP)
2) Some members of the IPSO Executive Committee also serve on the IPA/IPSO Relations Committee.
3) IPSO will put forward to the IPA President, via Broomhills, the names of candidates who are interested in serving on IPA Committees. It is IPSO's responsibility to ensure that the names put forward have already indicated a willingness to serve if appointed and that they are aware that the appointment must be put to the IPA Board before any official appointment can be made. IPSO will also provide a short biography of approximately 4 sentences on each candidate proposed.
4) Broomhills will inform the relevant Committee Chairs after a candidate is selected.
5) Once approved by the IPA President, Secretary and Treasurer the appointment/s will be put to the Board in the usual way.
6) It will be assumed as with all IPA Committees that the IPA Candidate is a full voting member of the Committee whose term on the Committee will end at the close of the Presidential Administration.
7) IPSO (or the IPSO Candidate) will pay the necessary expenses for IPSO members appointed to IPA Committees (see 8 below*). In the interests of fairness the IPA will inform IPSO of the IPA's policy on reimbursement. IPSO in turn will inform the candidate, in advance of serving on the IPA Committee, what the expenses will be and whether or not IPSO can pay for the candidate.
8) *The exception to Rule 7 above is the IPA Congress Programme Committee where the IPA will pay the expenses of the IPSO Representative according to its standard reimbursement procedures. This is because the IPSO Representative's expenses are included in the administrative fee that IPSO pays the IPA for Congress registration.
IPSO at the IPA Congress
9) The IPA handles the Call for Proposals and scheduling of the IPSO sessions at the Congress in liaison with the IPSO nominated liaison person. The IPA also handles all registrations for the IPSO sessions at the IPA Congress. IPSO is given10% of all money taken from candidate registrations to the IPA Congress. This money is paid to IPSO after the audit for that Congress is complete.
10) In recognition of IPSO combining its programme with the IPA Congress and thus forfeiting the income provided by the previously separate IPSO pre-congress, the IPA grants IPSO $10,000 per year beginning in 2003. This money is paid to IPSO in July of each year.
11) A member of the IPSO ExCom will be entitled to attend the President’s meeting at the IPA Congress except any part of that meeting otherwise designated by the President.
Inclusion of Candidates and IPSO in the IPA Roster/Database
12) The IPA’s online Roster includes a register of candidates. The IPA online Roster includes IPSO member data that IPSO collects and forwards to Broomhills. Non IPSO IPA candidate data is also included and collected by Broomhills from the Institutes. This data is given the same global Data Protection Policy adhered to by the IPA. The IPA financially supports the inclusion of the IPSO officers and candidates in the IPA Roster.
13) The IPA’s E-Newsletter is circulated to all IPSO candidates listed on the IPA’s database.
14) Broomhills provides an IPSO Members and non IPSO Candidates e-mailing service to IPSO. It also provides and maintains e-mail accounts for the IPSO Board.
Agreed by the Council in January 2003: Monetary sums mentioned in paragraph 8 & 9. Roster/database inclusion and e. Newsmagazine circulation.
Approved by Excom Nov. 2009.
The IPA Board suspended the current policy regarding IPSO Candidates in the online Roster at its meeting in January 2013, and deferred a further decision on this matter until the July 2013 Prague meeting.
Deletion of the Budget and Finance Committee from the list of Committees that may have Candidate participation proposed and approved by the Executive Committee on 19 January 2013.
Inclusion of IPSO representative on the e-Newsletter Committee and the Outreach Committee and inclusion of IPSO representative at the President’s meeting and deletion of phrase “by e-mail” from Paragraph 5 proposed by ExCom and approved by the Board in January 2013.
*This change record is for background information only and does not form part of the Procedural Code. If there is any conflict between a statement in the Procedural Code and a statement in this change record, the change record will be disregarded.